German is a valuable and important language to learn in Australia
German is taught across Australia in Primary, Secondary, Government, Catholic, Independent and Community schools. German is the most widely spoken language in Europe and is being learnt by students throughout Australia and the world.
There is comprehensive support for teachers of German in Australia including:
- regional, state and territory, and national teacher networks
- outstanding professional development opportunities within Australia and overseas
- high quality curriculum resources for Primary and Secondary schools
- state or territory, national and international competitions and events for students
- promotional and cultural events for students and the wider community
- scholarships and exchanges for teachers and students to German-speaking countries
- support from the German-speaking communities and businesses in Australia and beyond
- cooperative partnerships with government and curriculum authorities.
The NATG is committed to further developing collaborative partnerships for the promotion of German with the associations and networks for German throughout Australia and in partnership with the Goethe-Institut and the German-speaking communities in Australia and beyond.
Exchanges and Scholarships
Please see FAQ for information about exchanges and scholarships for students and teachers.
The Australian Government developed the Australian Curriculum which included Languages. However, each state and territory in Australia has jurisdiction for education in schools. Each jurisdiction determines the curriculum to be taught. Teachers need to check which curriculum their school is following. The final certificate for secondary schools varies across jurisdictions. Some schools offer the International Baccalaureate. Teachers need to be registered in the state or territory in which they are teaching. Please see FAQ for links to the teacher registration boards.
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Statement on Languages Education from the NATG
The Network of Australian Teachers of German (NATG) values and supports the learning and teaching of all Languages in Australia. The learning of Languages strongly supports both goals of the Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration (the Declaration).
Students learning Languages learn to-
- appreciate Australia’s social, cultural, linguistic and religious diversity
- relate to and communicate across cultures
- responsible global and local citizens.